10.07.2015

The Little Boy Learns to Sew

This is kind of stating the obvious, but sewing is a huge part of my life.  My daughter has been at my feet in my sewing room since she was an infant.  When she started getting interested in sewing, we happen to win a copy of Sewing School 2 and for her birthday, I got her a Janome Sew Mini sewing machine.  It served it purpose, but it's quality matched it's price; cheap.  All of a sudden, the little boy turned 7 and instantly decided he wanted to learn to sew too.
 We turned to our Sewing School 2 book again and just like that, he made a few projects and caught the sewing bug.
 Our little Sew Mini was on it's last leg and after a few projects, it finally bit the dust.  I went searching for a replacement machine with only 1 feature in mind, speed control.  My sewing machine has a little dial where you can reduce the machine speed regardless of how hard you press on the foot.  I think for kids, this is really helpful.  But, I wanted something affordable as well.  I finally decided on the Brother CS-6000i.

 I can't say enough good things about this machine.  Keep in mind, I am not being compensated for any of this, so these opinions are totally not influenced.  The machine costs less than $150, comes with a billion little accessories, has a great LED light, and it super easy to thread and use.  We had it out of the box and the kids sewing with it in a flash.  I'm so happy with our purchase and it's feels so wonderful to have taught both my kids the love of sewing.
This little gem is going straight to the keepsake box!

5 comments:

  1. I love this! So good that both your kids are interested in sewing. I kept my old machine for this purpose but mine don't seem to be too interested yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so stinkin awesome! Oh the places they will go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great he wants to sew! I need to get a sewing machine for my kids too, my boys always want to sew but I don't like them playing on my machine, its good to known that the brother you mentioned is a good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun!! My girls both hand sew, and have for a few years, but the boys don't really seem to be all that interested. (although one of them made a quilt for his sister a few years ago) They REALLY want me to teach them to use a machine, and I have spent a tiny bit of time with them on that, but since we don't have anywhere to set up a machine dedicated to them, and I don't want to have to share mine with them, well - I haven't figured out how to proceed.... I should do that.
    I bought this same machine last year for my daughter in law to learn to sew on, and I was quite pleased with it as a beginner machine, and she is tickled with her makes so far and hasn't had any machine troubles so I second your recommendation.
    Happy sewing with kids ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother taught me to use her machine before I even started school. Parents today might consider that dangerous but not my disciplined victorian gran! I never stitched my fingers and sixty years later I still love sewing. I recently gave my 8 year old granddaughter a small (limited speed) machine for her birthday. Regretfully I live too far away to be able to teach her to use it, but I hope she will enjoy it and learn a skill that could stay with her for life and offer so many opportunities.

    ReplyDelete